12 Reasons to Add Cucumber to Your Shopping List
1. Cucumbers are a rich source of most of the vitamins you need every day! Just one cucumber contains Vitamin B1, B2, B3, B5, and B6 along with Vitamin C, Folic Acid, Calcium, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, and Zinc.
2. If you frequently find yourself tired in the afternoon, ditch the caffeinated soda and enjoy a tasty cucumber instead. Cucumbers are contain B vitamins and carbohydrates that can provide a quick pick-me-up when you need it.
3. If you’re tired of your bathroom mirror fogging up after a shower or bath, try rubbing a cucumber slice on it! This can eliminate the fog while also providing a soothing, spa-like fragrance.
4. If grubs and slugs are ruining your planting beds, try places a few slices of cucumber in a small pie tin. You just may find that your garden stays free of pests for the season. Why? Because the chemicals in cucumber react with the aluminum to give off a scent that is undetectable to humans but drives common garden pests nuts, making them likely to flee.
5. If you’re looking for a quick, easy way to minimize the appearance of cellulite before going out or getting some sun, try cucumber — on your skin that is. Spend a few minutes rubbing cucumber along your problem areas for a few minutes. The phytochemicals in the cucumber cause the collagen in your skin to tighten. This can firm up the outer layer, and reduce the appearance of cellulite. This technique can also work on wrinkles!
6. Trying to avoid a hangover? Before bed, eat a few cucumber slices. Cucumbers contain B vitamins and electrolytes which replenish essential nutrients the body loses. The result? You just may find yourself waking up feeling refreshed instead of nursing a hangover!
7. Do you struggle with late afternoon or evening snacking?Try enjoying a cucumber snack instead. This satiating snack has been used for centuries, often by European trappers, traders and explorers for thwart off starvation.
8. Need a quick shoe shine? Try rubbing a freshly cut cucumber over the shoe. The chemicals in cucumber cam provide a quick and durable shine that not only looks great but also acts as a water repellant.
9. Squeaky hinge annoying you? Try rubbing a cucumber slice along the problematic hinge.
10. Feeling stressed and don’t quite have the time for an acupuncture appointment, facial, massage, or other treatment? Boil a pot of water, cut up a cucumber and place it in the water. The nutrients and chemicals from the cucumber will react with the boiling water and be released in the steam. The result: a soothing, relaxing aroma that has been shown to reduce stress in college students during final exams as well as new mothers.
11. Fun fact: The phytochemicals in cucumbers kill the bacteria in your mouth that are responsible for causing bad breath. Freshen breath with by pressing a piece of cucumber to the roof of your mouth with your tongue for 30 seconds.
12. Cucumber for green cleaning? Yes please! Try wiping stainless steel surfaces with cucumber to cleanse and bring out their shine - without pesky streaks. Looking for a 'green' way to clean your taps, sinks or stainless steel?
Cucumber Lime Spritzer Recipe
4-6 medium cucumber slices
3/4 ounces lime juice
4-6 medium mint leaves
1/2 cup sparkling water
extra cucumber slices for garnish
Muddle the cucumber slices, mint leaves, and lime juice together in a sturdy glass with a muddler or spoon.
Fill a drinking glass with ice, then strain the cucumber and lime mixture into the glass.
Pour the sparkling water into the glass.
Garnish with extra cucumber slices.