Top 7 Ways to Manage Stress Naturally this Holiday Season
There is so much to enjoy about the holiday season! That said, there can also be a down side: STRESS!
It’s easy to get overwhelmed and rundown this time of year with all of the holiday shopping, baking, preparing for family, events and parties, and of course, holiday overindulgence. Our usual self-care practices may fall to the wayside as we struggle to get everything done. This year, give yourself the gift of taking care of yourself with these 7 easy tips:
1. Diaphragmatic Breathing: One of the easiest ways you can decrease stress in the moment is to practice diaphragmatic breathing. Try it right now: inhale deeply from your belly, pause a moment, then take a long, slow exhale. And repeat. Make a point to stop throughout the day to check-in with yourself. Practice diaphragmatic breathing when you wake up, before you dive into your day. Do it again at lunch time, when you get home from work, or any other time that you feel stressed. You will be surprised at how much you can reduce stress and tension just be taking deep, mindful breaths throughout the day.
2. Acupuncture: Acupuncture has been shown to promote balance in the nervous system, helping people with everything from anxiety and stress to depression and mood issues, fatigue, and trouble sleeping. These issues often go hand in hand, with one impacting the other. Try acupuncture to promote restful sleep, energy, and positive mood — and feel the stress melt away! Ready to feel the results for yourself? Schedule an appointment now!
3. Vitamins & Supplements: Much of the American population is deficient in key nutrients - and would thus benefit from supplementing with high quality vitamins. In particular, there are several key nutrients that have been linked to stress and mood, including:
Omega 3 Fatty Acids
4. Drink Water: Dehydration can negatively affect your mood. Aim for the recommended 8 glasses of water a day to stay hydrated — potential side effects include deceased stress and enhanced mood!
5. B12 Injections - As we age, our bodies naturally tend to need more B12. Being deficient in this vital nutrient can cause many health issues, including:
Changes in Appetite
It has been found that B12 injections are absorbed better than pill form. There are many potential benefits of getting B12 injections, such as reduced stress, restful sleep, improved focus, increased energy, weight management, and improvements in immune system functioning. Contact us to schedule your next B12 injection or book an appointment online now!
6. Nutrition: Healthy eating is the cornerstone for a wellbeing - mentally and physically. Promote health by incorporating more whole, nutrient-rich foods. Start your day with a healthy breakfast that is rich in protein. Plan ahead and pack healthy snacks to keep your energy up and your stress down throughout the day. Balance lean protein with healthy fats and vegetables. Opt for organic and grass-fed whenever possible. Sipping a warm cup of tea is another great way to soothe stress. Our favorite are mint tea, barley, or passionflower - or chamomile if you’re getting ready for bed.
7. Get Moving: One of the best ways to combat stress is to get moving! Exercise releases the body’s natural “feel good” chemicals, also known as endorphins. Take the benefits one step further by going out in nature for a brisk walk or jog. In addition to managing stress, exercise has many other benefits as well, including weight management, improving heart health, pain relief, and overall well-being.
It’s time to make #self-care a priority - book an appointment online now to get started!